Sign up as a Citizen Journalist and get involved in Information Activism.
Sign Up for Watchdog Updates!
Be irreplaceable: Do something no one else is doing.
Want to make a difference or a name for yourself? Or do both, while righting the wrongs across this fruited plain?
Go to places no one else has gone. Research stories that no one else is researching. When you find the area you love, become the go-to expert. And then write on it relentlessly.
Some of you will already know what your niche is because you have spent years preaching to your friends and colleagues about that one hot-button issue that gets you talking for hours. But if you need a little guidance, start by answering these questions:
- What gets your blood boiling? What issues ignite frustration or passion in you?
- Is there a common theme in articles you read or re-post on Facebook and Twitter?
- Where do you want to see the most improvement in your community?
- Have you volunteered for an issue-based campaign?
- Have you written to your congressman or attended a town hall? If so, what was the issue?
There’s an endless supply of topics. Since local media has been damaged by spending cuts, there’s a reporting void. Fill it!
- You Can Do “Man on the Street” Interviews Like the Pros
- It’s August Recess: Ask Your Question and Demand Answers!
- WEBINAR: How to Shoot Video at Local Events
- 9 Tips for Telling Your Story With Video!
- Meet Our Celebrity Judges for the Summer Video Contest