Sign up as a Citizen Journalist and get involved in Information Activism.
Sign Up for Watchdog Updates!
Do you love writing? Are you passionate about working with grassroots activists and making a difference in your state? Would you like to help the Watchdog Wire team recruit new Citizen Watchdogs in your state, and promote more citizen content to this site–all while working from home?
If you answered yes, you should consider applying to be a State-Based Editor for Watchdog Wire. Currently, we are looking for editors for our Ohio, Oregon, Montana, Illinois, New Jersey and Arkansas sites. This is a part-time, paid position, perfect for anyone who is highly motivated, willing to work an hour or two each day, and looking to make money for doing something they enjoy!
Here’s how the job works:
- The editor is responsible for populating Watchdog Wire with content, from citizen contributors and credible blogs and news sources. These stories should be relevant to your state and the Citizen Watchdog mission. There should be 3-4 new stories each weekday, and 2 or more videos each week.
- The editor will review, edit, and publish contributions from citizen contributors, ensure that all material follows the Watchdog Wire Style Guide, reach out to contributors who need coaching, and contribute 1-2 stories of his or her own each week.
- The editor will also identify and recruit local bloggers to write or cross-post on Watchdog Wire, and attend at least one Citizen Watchdog training.
Applicants should have strong copy-editing and writing skills, a proficiency in sound journalism and media practices, as well as a keen sense of newsworthiness. Strong interpersonal and communication skills are needed to effectively recruit local bloggers as contributors to Watchdog Wire and mentor contributors with their writing.
It is preferred that the editor is native to the state they apply for or has strong personal and professional connections to the state. Applicants should have a knowledge and passion for the economic and policy issues affecting the state. Editors will be temporarily contracted to dedicate 1.5-2 hours a day to this role and will receive a stipend for their efforts on a month-to-month contract basis.
If interested, please send your resume and writing samples to Jackie.Moreau@franklincenterhq.org!
- Video: Rand Paul Runs Away With CPAC Crowd
- Watchdog Wire’s CPAC Wrap
- Traitor and coward, or whistleblower and patriot? CPAC’s take on Edward Snowden and the NSA
- KS: Special interests struggle to keep special tax treatment
- Hawaii Obamacare Medicaid Applications–Even Less Than The Few