Please visit our new home and follow us on social media: Facebook & Twitter
Come join us at Watchdog Arena!
Sign Up for Watchdog Updates!
We could call it a “lunch and learn,” but we’re more fun than that…
Join the staff of Watchdog Wire, a project of The Franklin Center, for a tweet-up with our very own Mary Ellen Beatty, Director of Citizen Outreach! Bring your lunch to your computer, and tweet with us on Wednesday. We’ll be talking about the six steps to becoming a citizen watchdog. Mary Ellen is a wealth of knowledge in this area, with resources, tips and ideas for you to be a helpful, effective citizen watchdog journalist.
- WHEN: Wednesday, February 6, 2013, 12-1pm ET
- WHERE: Twitter.com or your Twitter app, using the hashtag #WDWTU
- WHO: You! And Mary Ellen Beatty, Director of Citizen Outreach for Watchdog Wire and Citizen Watchdog
- WHAT: 6 Steps to Becoming a Citizen Watchdog
- WHY: Everywhere can be a citizen watchdog. Learn how to hold your government accountable with wise advise from Mary Ellen!
Now to the HOW part… During a tweet-up, an organization or a person (in this case, @WatchdogWire) promotes a specific Twitter hashtag (ours will be #WDWTU for “watchdog wire tweet-up”), and schedules a time to meet on Twitter. Typically, there is a moderator and a guest who engage in a Q&A session for everyone to see. You can simply observe the conversation or choose to join in and ask a question. Think of this as a virtual town hall to learn more about a specific issue.
Just make sure you include #WDWTU in each of your tweets during the conversation so that we will see them. We don’t want to miss you! Also, you may want to take a moment and follow us at @WatchdogWire and your fellow watchdogs tweeting with #WDWTU — it’s always great to grow your network with like-minded individuals.
All you need to know are three simple steps:
1. Go to www.Twitter.com.
2. Log in to your Twitter account (or sign up for an account if it’s your first time)
3. Type #WDWTU in the search bar at the top.
If you need assistance setting up a Twitter account before our first tweet-up, please email firstname.lastname@example.org by 9am ET Wednesday, Feb. 6. Be sure to include your phone number with area code, and someone will contact you to help.
We look forward to seeing you on Twitter on Wednesday at 12pm ET!
Tags: citizen watchdog, government, Quick Tips, tweet-up
- Christmas in America: A time to celebrate the gifts of liberty and freedom
- Campaign contribution stacking in Wichita enables corruption
- GA: Augusta approves $2.8 million for broke Hyde Park project
- In Wichita, not much notice of a public hearing
- ACLU and NAACP suing Ferguson School District for having ‘Unfair’ election practices