Please visit our new home and follow us on social media: Facebook & Twitter
Come join us at Watchdog Arena!
Sign Up for Watchdog Updates!
We could call it a “lunch and learn,” but we’re more fun than that…
Join the staff of Watchdog Wire, a project of The Franklin Center, for a tweet-up with Charlie Kirk, the founder of Turning Point USA, a student-run group dedicated to educating America’s youth about fiscal responsibility and government transparency. Bring your lunch to your computer, and tweet with us on Wednesday. We’ll be talking about ways young people can get involved in citizen journalism. Charlie is only 19 years old, but he has a wealth of knowledge on reaching out to young people and using new media and blogs to make his voice heard.
- WHEN: Wednesday, February 20, 2013, 12-1pm ET
- WHERE: Twitter.com or your Twitter app, using the hashtag #WDWTU
- WHO: You, Watchdog Wire, and Charlie Kirk (@charliekirk11) of Turning Point USA!
- WHAT: How people of all ages can get involved in citizen journalism.
- WHY: Today’s young people are empowered by technology and social media. Learn why age isn’t a barrier to making a difference through citizen journalism.
Now to the HOW part… During a tweet-up, an organization or a person (in this case, @WatchdogWire ) promotes a specific Twitter hashtag (ours will be #WDWTU for “Watchdog Wire tweet-up”), and schedules a time to meet on Twitter. Typically, there is a moderator and a guest who engage in a Q&A session for everyone to see. You can simply observe the conversation or choose to join in and ask a question. Think of this as a virtual town hall to learn more about a specific issue.
Just make sure you include #WDWTU in each of your tweets during the conversation so that we will see them. We don’t want to miss you! Also, you may want to take a moment and follow us at @WatchdogWire and your fellow watchdogs tweeting with #WDWTU — it’s always great to grow your network with like-minded individuals.
All you need to know are three simple steps:
1. Go to www.Twitter.com.
2. Log in to your Twitter account (or sign up for an account if it’s your first time)
3. Type #WDWTU in the search bar at the top.
If you need assistance setting up a Twitter account before our first tweet-up, please email firstname.lastname@example.org by 9am ET Wednesday. Be sure to include your phone number with area code, and someone will contact you to help.
We look forward to seeing you on Twitter on Wednesday at 12pm ET!!!
- New federal dietary guidelines are a meaty issue
- Regulating the internet, or just bluffing? Bill would give online poker a raw deal
- Nader Proposes New Political Alliance to Stop Crony Capitalism
- VA: Congressional Candidates Gang Up On Comstock In Her Absence
- DC Open Government Coalition Pushes for Transparency at the Local Level