Sign up as a Citizen Journalist and get involved in Information Activism.
Sign Up for Watchdog Updates!
How much power does the lobbying industry have over American politics and, more specifically, our politicians? Do we need comprehensive election finance reform? Can we fight back against these moneyed special interests? We’ll discuss this and more during our Sunshine Week tweet-up with Open Secrets.
Launched in the 1980s, the Center for Responsive Politics aims to create a more educated voter, a more involved citizenry, and a more responsive government through their website www.OpenSecrets.org, where they track all political donations and lobbying activity. Join us as we tweet up with Executive Director Sheila Krumholz of Open Secrets, the premiere database tracking federal campaign contributions!
- WHEN: Wednesday, March 19th, 12-1pm ET
- WHERE: Twitter.com or your Twitter app, using the hashtag #WDWTU
- WHO: You, @OpenSecretsDC, and @WatchdogWire.
- WHAT: A conversation about the lobbying industry, election finance, and overall government accountability.
- WHY: The power of special interests is of growing concern to many Americans, as many believe it undermines the democratic process. Open Secrets aims to track and reveal the faces funding our elected representatives, holding these public servants accountable to the American people.
Now to the HOW part… During a tweet-up, an organization or a person (in this case, @WatchdogWire) promotes a specific Twitter hashtag (ours will be #WDWTU for “Watchdog Wire tweet-up”), and schedules a time to meet on Twitter. Typically, there is a moderator and a guest who engage in a Q&A session for everyone to see. You can simply observe the conversation or choose to join in and ask a question. Think of this as a virtual town hall with Open Secrets
Make sure you include #WDWTU in each of your tweets during the conversation so that we will see them. We don’t want to miss you! Also, you may want to take a moment and follow us at @WatchdogWire and your fellow watchdogs tweeting with #WDWTU — it’s always great to grow your network with like-minded individuals.
All you need to know are three simple steps:
1. Go to www.Twitter.com.
2. Log in to your Twitter account (or sign up for an account if it’s your first time)
3. Type #WDWTU in the search bar at the top.
If you need assistance setting up a Twitter account before our first tweet-up, please email firstname.lastname@example.org by 9am ET Wednesday. Be sure to include your phone number with area code, and someone will contact you to help.
We look forward to seeing you on Twitter on Wednesday, March 19th at 12pm ET – in the meantime, prepare for Sunshine Week by auditing your local government website using our handy citizen rubric!
Tags: Government accountability, sunshine week, transparency
- Nader Proposes New Political Alliance to Stop Crony Capitalism
- VA: Congressional Candidates Gang Up On Comstock In Her Absence
- DC Open Government Coalition Pushes for Transparency at the Local Level
- VIDEO: Ann Coulter holds GOP to the “firing line” on immigration
- Video: CPAC Panel Discusses Healthcare After Obamacare