Sign up as a Citizen Journalist and get involved in Information Activism.
Sign Up for Watchdog Updates!
Greetings to our constituents, fellow Floridians, and indeed all Americans, it is time to prepare our weekly update for dissemination. It has been a whirlwind of a week and truly a changing direction for our America.
As you all are aware, this is an official Congressional report and therefore we cannot discuss campaign related issues. Quite sure you are well aware of the current situation regarding our election.
There have been several items of concern this week which I believe are indicators of what a second term for this administration will look like.
At this moment I am watching the breaking news of the resignation of CIA Director General David Petraeus. As many of you may know this resignation is occurring the Friday before hearings are supposedly to be held next week on the Benghazi incident. General Petraeus, from a national security perspective, did the honorable thing by resignation, however I hope his leaving will not hinder getting to the truth on Benghazi. This also follows with the interestingly timely relief and retirement of USAFRICOM Commander General Carter Ham.
And that leads me to the second point, regarding Mark Basseley Youssef, the Coptic Christian immigrant from Egypt. He is the individual arrested as the culprit who unleashed Muslim anger because of a silly anti-Islam video. Not since Helen of Troy, “the face that launched a thousand ships,” have we seen one individual responsible for inciting more emotional outrage as reflected in the 11th anniversary of the September 11th Islamic terrorist attacks. He will now be serving one year for a parole violation.
Could it be that Mr. Youseef is being punished, as President Obama stated at his United Nations Assembly address, because “the future does not belong to those who insult the prophet of Islam?”
Which leads me to the next point… not only should President Obama’s statement cause us concern. We should also be concerned about the Organization of Islamic Countries who supported United Nation Resolution 1618, which would make any deemed offensive comment toward Islam an international crime.
On that note, a related United Nations issue is that within 24 hours of President Obama’s reelection, the United States signed on with another 156 other countries to the United Nations Arms Trade Treaty, while Russia voted against it. This treaty which would require the United States Senate approval of a treaty which will have certain adverse effects upon our Constitutional Second Amendment right to bear arms.
Following along with more international occurrences, am I the only one who finds it odd that only days before the national elections, Iran fired upon a United States drone? The drone was operating in open airspace when two Iranian jets fired upon it. Now, why is it that we heard nothing about this until after the election? Kind of like us not knowing about a Russian attack submarine operating undetected in the Gulf of Mexico for some two months. Is this the future of our national security?
Back years ago when I was a teenager living during the administration of President Jimmy Carter, I recall the Saudi oil embargo crisis, which resulted in fuel rationing, on odd/even days. History has an impeccable way of repeating itself – just ask the folks up in New Jersey and New York. Amazing that we can send aid halfway around the globe to Indonesia and Japan, yet Americans are freezing and destitute right here, due to the incompetence of government agency relief efforts.
But you just do not hear a peep from the mainstream media on this stuff.
Lastly, I think you all now realize that the “fiscal cliff” is indeed real. It has been something that I have been discussing for quite some time and stock market behavior following the reelection of President Obama is just an indicator. The “sell-off” which has seen the Dow Jones Industrial Average drop some 430 points, 3.3%, in three days should cause concern. We are seeing individuals who recognize the fact that capital gains and dividends taxes will rise from 15% to 25% and 43.4% respectively. Money is moving away from stocks and towards bonds. The predictable economic growth of America will be horribly affected.
The misguided belief that raising taxes will solve the problem will only bring about another recession.
The President’s Fiscal Year 2013 budget called for $1.9 trillion in new taxes, but the debt grows from $16 trillion to $20 trillion in four years and to $26 trillion in ten years. Deficits never go below $900 billion and the President’s budgets never balance… but you do get a 53% increase in the growth of the federal government.
If we do not expand our tax base, lower rates, eliminate exemptions, and provide tax and monetary policy certainty we are truly heading off that cliff like Thelma and Louise.
We are dangerously close to the tipping point.
In closing, 10 November, 2012 is the 237th birthday of the greatest fighting force known to mankind, the United States Marine Corps — Semper Fidelis.
And Sunday is Veterans Day. Welcome home brothers and sisters, and God bless those of us who have taken that oath of office to serve, sacrifice, and commit to this great nation –the longest running Constitutional Republic the world has ever known, these United States of America.
Highlights of the Week:
- Monday, 5 Nov: attended the Crossmatch Company BBQ luncheon, their company develops bio-metric devices for use by our men and women on the 21st Century Battlefield. Discussed with them current issues of economic security and national security and how it will affect their business.
- Thursday, 8 Nov: participated and spoke at the Sixth Annual Pompano Beach High School Army ROTC Fallen Heroes Ceremony. Seeing the young men and women in High School Junior ROTC uniform, just as I was back in 1975 does my heart well.
- Friday, 9 Nov: attended and was the keynote speaker for the Martin County High School Air Force Junior ROTC Veteran’s Day program. I spoke of the three aspects of being a veteran: service, sacrifice, and commitment. We must ensure to pass on a greater and more exceptional America to these future leaders and warriors.
- Saturday, 10 Nov: will speak at the National Navy SEAL Museum Muster in Ft. Pierce. What a special privilege to stand among SEAL Medal of Honor winners. Will attend the Stuart Air Show to see the power of American aviation ingenuity and expertise. Happy 237th birthday to the finest fighting force the world has ever known, the United States Marine Corps.
- Sunday, 11 Nov: will attend the Boynton Veteran’s Council Veteran’s Day ceremony; participate in the West Palm Beach Veteran’s Day Parade by riding my motorcycle with the Nam Knights Motorcycle Club; attend and speak at the US Navy SEAL Muster reception at the South Florida Shooting Club in Palm City.
- School Board salary negotiations are open to the public
- FL: Is the new $7.7 million Gulf Gate library costly duplication?
- Fraud in the Florida Department of Economic Opportunity
- Florida Senator Bill Nelson blames border crisis on budget cuts that he voted for in 2011
- Report finds Florida is 6th “least socialist” state