Sign up as a Citizen Journalist and get involved in Information Activism.
Sign Up for Watchdog Updates!
A national voter rights group is targeting Montgomery County Democratic Delegate Eric Leudtke’s assault on the right to petition.
National voters rights group is sending a targeted mailer to Leudtke’s legislative district to educate his constituents about the assault on their rights.
“House Bill 493 is misnamed ‘The Referendum Integrity Act.’ It should accurately be called ‘The Referendum Suppression Act,’ said Citizen’s in Charge president, Paul Jacob in a statement.
Luedtke’s bill ostensibly seeks to protect the integrity of the referendum process from fraud. However, in reality, it severely restrict the rights of Maryland citizens to petition laws to referendum in the name of protecting.
“The confusing element to the Delegate’s bill is that it is not a response to unlawful activity or fraud in Maryland’s petition process – there has been none. This is an unconstitutional solution looking for a problem,” said Jacob in testimony on the bill.
Citizen’s in Charge said it would target other districts if the sponsors of HB 493 persist.
Click here for more Watchdog Wire Maryland coverage of the assault on the right to petition.
- Anthony Brown’s Campaign Didn’t Repay Labor Group’s Loan On Time
- Campaign disclosure forms reveal Xerox’s ties to Anthony Brown campaign
- Definition of Transportation Trust Fund Revenue Missing From New MD Lock Box Amendment
- Maryland Ballot Question Provides Weak Protection for Transportation Trust Fund
- MD: Howard County Education Board Member Denied Access to Complaint Against Her