Sign up as a Citizen Journalist and get involved in Information Activism.
Sign Up for Watchdog Updates!
The beleaguered Maryland Developmental Disabilities Administration has cost taxpayers millions of dollars according to a legislative audit.
According to the audit DDA failed to recover 5.5 million in federal funds because it lacked proper procedures for federal reimbursement and failure to submit paper work on time.
The audit also discovered:
- Misappropriation of $610,000 in alcohol tax revenue to purchase 23 vehicles for some on the DDA waiting list, even though agency policy did not prescribe those funds to be used for purchasing vehicles.
- DDA did not monitor service coordinators to ensure aid recipients received proper services, and failure to perform Medicaid eligibility reassessments.
- DDA lost $2.4 million in reimbursable costs from the federal government because the agency’s reimbursement methodology failed to accurately reflect incurred costs.
- DDA failed to recover $820,000 in recoverable reimbursement claims from the federal government because it failed to investigate or resubmit claims.
- DDA did not properly review annual reports from providers to ensure all necessary information was provided or perform reconciliations to find over payments or under payments.
- DDA failed to bill local jurisdictions $1.4 million, and recoup $390,000 in overpayments.
The agency has come under fire over the last few years. Last month a federal audit revealed that DDA owes the federal government $21 million for overbilling Medicaid for unallowable costs. A 2011 audit found that the agency left $38 million unspent, funds that could have been spent on services for the thousands of developmentally disabled sitting on a DDA waiting list.
Tags: Audits, Developmental Disabilities Administration
- Auditor Review of MD Obamacare Exchange Failure Falls Short
- House Moves on O’Malley Budget of $39 Billion
- Sunshine Audit: Howard County, Maryland
- Open Government, Spending Transparency, and Accountability Bills in Annapolis
- Baltimore’s Secret Speed Camera Audit Revealed